ENGINEER I (two open positions)
*Scroll down for decriptions of job openings:
1. IP SERVICES TECHNICIAN/NETWORK ENGINEER I
NineStar Connect currently has a job opening for the position of IP Services Technician/Network Engineer I. Utilizing our Fiber to the Home technology, NineStar Connect currently provides, voice, data, IPTV, power, and smart grid solutions to our customers. These, along with our other service offerings, make NineStar Connect an innovative and fast moving company. NineStar Connect allows you to work with the latest in communications and electric technologies, while providing a fast-paced and team centric atmosphere.
Essential job functions include:
- Monitor, Maintain, Manage, and Support our core network infrastructure including Wide Area Network (WAN) Local Area Network (LAN), and Uplink routers, switches, and IOS configuration
- Configure, install and maintain DSLAM equipment for broadband, voice and video via copper and fiber optics. This requires knowledge of POTS, DSL, FTTH,
VoIP, IGMP, and multiple networking protocols and terminology.
- Install, maintain, and support our IPTV head-end equipment
- Install, upgrade, and troubleshoot NineStar video infrastructure.
This includes STB and middleware content.
- Install and maintain special circuits on fiber based facilities, including PRI, T1, and DS-1
- Perform and Test configuration backups and recovery
- Receive, process and complete trouble tickets escalated from Help Desk
- Conduct research on network products, services, and standards in support of network development efforts
- Recommend, Schedule, and Perform network improvements, upgrades, and repairs
- Advanced understanding of routing and switching protocols (RIP, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, Spanning Tree)
- Ability to troubleshoot/resolve issues using multiple platforms (Phone Based,
Click-to-Chat, Remote Support- WebEx, and On-Site)
- Proven analytical skills are required and must be process-oriented
- Ability to learn new skills and technologies
- Be capable of analyzing and troubleshooting different technologies and issues
- Being capable of handling stressful situations
- Working as both a team and an individual
- Attention to detail and being organized
- Working off-hours and weekends as required and being on an on-call rotation schedule
- An advanced understanding of IPTV and multicast technologies is strongly preferred
- Strong understanding of Linux Operating System, specifically Debian
Enhanced proficiency of the following technologies:
- Cisco (Multiple product lines including the 3400, 3560, 7600 and ASR 1000 & 9000 series switches/routers)
- Quality of Service (QOS)
- Routing Protocols (RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, PIM, and BGP)
- Security Technologies (Firewalls, IPSEC, ACLs, IPS)
- Linux services (LAMP, Radius, etc)
- VoIP Protocols
- T1/PRI Concepts
- PHP experience is a plus
Experience with the following technologies is considered a plus:
- Calix products and services
- Zhone products and services
- ADTRAN products and services
- Cisco IOS XR platform
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Technology, or related field; a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a Network Engineer or related position a plus; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. One or more of the following certifications CCNA, CCNP, CCNA-SP, CCNP-SP or LPIC-1 is a plus.
NineStar Connect offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, retirement and 401(k). If you would like to apply for a position, please contact HR by sending an email to email@example.com or send your resume to NineStar Connect, Attn: Human Resources, 2243 E. Main
Street, Greenfield, IN 46140.
2. GIS Technician / Engineering Department
The position of GIS Specialist is established to help achieve the mission of NineStar which is dedicated to customer satisfaction through superior service, leadership and community involvement.
The specific objectives of this position include:
- Responsible for maintaining and updating GIS and mapping systems;
- Providing accurate and reliable system information using the GIS and mapping systems.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develops, documents and maintains accurate mapping of the system using GIS and other cooperative systems and databases
- Manages GIS data posting process from manual updates, AutoCAD, staking, CIS and other cooperative software systems.
- Troubleshoots and resolves problems in conjunction with software vendors.
- Assists with tracking, monitoring and reporting on the co-op’s preventative maintenance programs.
- Gathers and utilizes GIS data for engineering, analysis and planning studies.
Education and Experience:
Associate degree in Geography or related equivalent. At least 1-2 years previous experience in data conversion.
Abilities and Skills:
- Possess demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and capable of working with minimal supervision.
- Ability to read schematics, diagrams, blue prints, legal descriptions, and work orders with thorough knowledge of all drafting and AutoCAD techniques and engineering terminology.
- High level capability in using personal computer for database management, data entry, reporting, letter writing, and spreadsheets; Windows and Microsoft Office experience required.
- Possess a thorough understanding of electricity/telecommunications and electrical/telecom principles.
- Possess the basic reading, writing and mathematical skills necessary to perform the position.
- Possess the communication skills necessary to work effectively and efficiently with other employees, answer questions, and handle requests courteously and professionally.
- Ability to acquire knowledge of system geography within a reasonable time period.
- Must have knowledge of GPS units and related software.
- Must have an understanding of remote sensing principles.
- Must be able to maintain and update GIS data for field and in-house use.