How do I set up my personal website?
How do I FTP files to my Home Directory?
Using your FTP client, follow the following procedures:
1. The host is ftp.myninestar.net
2. You must use your login id and password to copy files to your directory. Once you login you should be in your directory.
3. Change directory to the “public_html” subdirectory. If you do see a “public_html” directory, call or email technical support.
4. Transmit HTML files using the ASCII mode to the HTML directory.
5. Transmit graphics files using the BINARY mode to the HTML directory. If you like, you can create a subdirectory within HTML for your graphics. In order to find graphics in a subdirectory, you must reference the subdirectory in your HTML file.
6. If you use the HTML extension in your HTML files, then rename each web page to have an html extension. For example, if your file is named home.htm, rename it to home.html.
Changing the Permissions in your Directory
ALL OF THE SERVER’S PERMISSIONS ARE SET CORRECTLY. DO NOT ADJUST THE FILE OR DIRECTORY PERMISSIONS.
What web address do I give for people to see my site?
Your personal website is located at http://hoist.myninestar.net/~username.
If you name the first HTML file that loads “index.html” you do not need to specify a HTML file name in your URL. If you name your html document anything other than index.html, you must include the HTML file name in the path.
For example: If my page is called index.html, typing the URL http://hoist.myninestar.net/~username will load my home page. If I call it home.html, then I must type http://hoist.myninestar.net/~username/home.html to see my home page.
NOTE: DON’T include the public_html directory when typing your URL. Our server automatically points to that directory without including it in the URL.
NOTE #2: This URL above only works if you FTP your files in lower case AND you rename the files from .htm to .html