Electricity is always seeking the quickest path to the ground. If your car comes in contact with a utility pole or fallen power lines, stay in the car. The power line could still be energized and is energizing your car. But like a bird on a wire, you are not a path to ground and will be safe. If you exit the car by stepping out, you can become the path to ground and be electrocuted.
If there is an immediate threat to your safety, exit the vehicle in this way:
- Open the door without touching the metal door frame.
- Jump out and away from the vehicle. Do not touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time.
- Jump with both feet together so both feet land at the same time.
- Shuffle away with the toe of one foot shuffling forward along the length of the other foot. Both feet should be in constant contact with the ground.
- Keep shuffling 30 or more feet until you are safely away from the car and power line.
- Watch for low hanging power lines or lines on the ground.
- NEVER attempt to get back into a vehicle in contact with a power line.